Mountain bike tourism is a global market and a sustainable economic activity. Communities from all over the world are recognizing the economic potential of this form of eco-tourism and have been embracing it to revitalize their local economies.
Santa Cruz has so many natural advantages for the development of mountain bike tourism including:
- A tourism based infrastructure already in place
- Nearby greenbelt areas and parks within riding distance of hotels and motels
- Spectacular redwood single track and coastal views
- Alternative activities for non-biking guests and family members
- Supportive bike industry and bike culture
- World-class destinations including San Francisco, Monterey and Silicon Valley less than 2 hours away
- City of Santa Cruz: More hotel and sales tax revenue.
- Local bike industry: increased sales and opportunities for new businesses.
- Local businesses: hotels, restaurants and tourism.
Mountain biking is a healthy, eco-friendly, and fun form of outdoor recreation and it should be encouraged for its low-cost, low impact use of public and private land. Santa Cruz is well known as a mountain biking destination to active mountain bikers in Northern California. The city and county can market Santa Cruz as a world-class mountain bike destination with very little investment and effort.